In 1937, a small group of believers began meeting in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Keasler in what was known as a Cottage Prayer Meeting.In May of 1941 the cornerstone for Tanner Street Church of God was laid, Rev. O.C. Lewis led the way. Rev. H. McDonough was the first full-time pastor serving from 1943-1946.Rev. Vernon Guttenfelder began the first of his two twelve-year tenures as pastor of the church in 1946. Rev. E.D. Johnson served the church froom 1957-1961Rev. Oral Withrow served from 1961-1966. During this time a construction plan was embraced which doubled the size of the facilities. The pulpit was moved to the north end of the sanctuary.Rev. Guttenfelder returned in 1966 and remained until 1978. A children's santuary was constructed during this time.Rev. Forrest Robinson began serving in 1979. Under his leadership the sanctuary and Christian Education building was remodeled and expanded. Pastor Robinson initiated the Little League Basketball and Jr. High Church Basketball League in Sikeston. Rev. Carl Addison served from 1990 to 2007. During this time the church came together to construct The Stafford Center-a multipurpose family life center. Currently Rev. John L. Neeley serves as senior pastor.
But, the ministries of Tanner Street Church are more than a collection of Pastor's throughout the years. The ministries of Tanner Street Church are seen through the people...thousands of caring gestures like hugs, laughs, cards and kind words. Countless time devoted to carrying one another through difficult times like illness, relational difficulties and death.
The ministries of Tanner Street Church are also seen through the movement of God...lives changed through faith in Jesus Christ, healing of illness and disease, encouragement and divine support through difficult times, growth through encountering the Word and Spirit.
May God continue to write the story of His redeeming work in the lives of His people who gather on Tanner Street.
To God be the Glory!
More information about the history of the Church of God movement can be found on the Church of God ministries website.